Thursday, October 14, 2010

Profile: Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown


http://www.jewornotjew.com/profile.jsp?ID=909

Now THIS is more like it. Baseball players, FTW! Three Finger (and don't we all miss the days when players had nicknames like Three Finger) was suggested by Ari from NY, and the mysteriously named Nuretro from NJ. Thanks guys!

Moishe would also like me to point out that Brown was Mr. Burns' top choice for pitcher on his Power Plant softball team on The Simpsons. Considering his team was made up of all dead-ballers (i.e., pre-Babe Ruth), most of his roster makes sense. But if I needed one pitcher from that era to pitch a game with my life on the line, I'm taking Walter Johnson (and probably Christy Matthewson) before I take Brown.

2 comments:

  1. Do you miss the days when players had names like Christy, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if we're gonna be smart alecks about things...

    Christy was his NAME. Matthewson's nickname was Matty. Some sources DO list him as The Christian Gentleman. And if Matthewson was particularly pious or moral (in a Christian sense), then I personally have no problem with that. Not really all that different from the t-shirts they sell in DC that call Strasburg Jesus (and yes, I do find it intensely humorous then that Jesus requires arm surgery) or the press Tim Tebow gets.

    It's just a heck of a lot more descriptive than A-Rod, I-Rod, K-Rod, J-Rod, P-Rod and the rest of their ilk. No?

    ReplyDelete