Friday, December 19, 2008

Oh, those meshugenah goyim! Names


I was in the post office today, and, of course, seeing how Christmas is close, the line was loooooooooooong. In front of me there was a woman with two kids. She was carrying the baby, and the two-year girl was running around. "Patience," the woman screamed. "Patience!"

Sure, I thought, patience. I was getting impatient myself. I just needed to mail one letter and people in front of me were sending gingerbread cookies to Vanuatu. But then I realized... the woman wasn't asking for patience. Patience was her daughter's name.

Ugh. Just ugh.

We discussed the goyim's inability to come up with first names in the Robert Downey Jr. profile, but the lack of creativity we talk about there is just one end of the spectrum. On the other, there is the supposed creativity. Witness Sarah Palin's Track, Bristol, Willow, Piper and Trig. Patience is up there as well... It might not be as bad as Track or Trig, but... imagine if the woman ever needs to ask her daughter to hurry up.

The worst, however, is Nevaeh. You've never heard it? Well, that's probably because you're Jewish. It's currently one of the most popular names in the country. And it's origin? Well, if you can't figure it out, we'll let Namipedia explain it.

Oh, those meshugenah goyim!

2 comments: